Monday, June 07, 2010

Il Bel Far Niente or The Beauty of Doing Nothing

Yes, that's my lot these days.  I have the tough job of making a day add up to all the things I want to take from it, which is much easier than it sounds. 

On the days when I don't have to meet my gym buddy at an "early" class, my body gets the day started by sleeping in.  After my eyes refuse to be closed for a minute more, I feel a twinge of guilt for having wasted a beautiful morning.  This guilt usually compels me to go out for a late morning "run." By run, I mean jog lightly for a block, and then continue the rest of the way at a light stroll checking out the neighborhood gardens.  Right now I'm in love with this English Garden front yard a few blocks down.

After I've successfully worked out, I'll look around the house for something to clean.  Nothing too dirty of course, I don't want to waste precious time in rubber gloves.  No, I like to do something like unload the dishwasher, or one load of laundry, or on a really ambitious afternoon I'll even dust a bookshelf or two.  Like today, I transplanted a geranium into a new pot, tried to sand a leg on a wooden chair, then decided I need to enjoy a warm shower.

By the time I was done getting myself clean it was already 1:30!  Whoa, time flies.  At this point I started to get hungry, so a trip to the market was in order.  Oh, the market when  you're not in a rush can be a pretty magnificent place.  I filled my cart with cheeses, bread, vegetables, fruit, wine...all the essentials. 

The freedom of eating anything you desire all at once is pretty refreshing.  No one's there telling you, "That's not a meal!" or "Where's the meat?" or "You should really eat better."  Nope, just me, telling my tummy, "Let's try bread with vinegar and blue cheese, maybe some arugula, ooooh and those sweet farmer's market strawberries."

Good thing I listened to myself, it was a tasty meal!

Now, as I sit on my balcony (a.k.a. new favorite spot) I realize my day is but 5 hours old, and I wonder how I'll fill the remaining 10.  But I'm not too worried, I'm sure I'll find something great to do.

This art of doing nothing really is grand!

No comments: