Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Doiliest of Lamp Shades

I guess I really like doilies.  Two thirds of what I found at the flea market this weekend resemble a doily.
One is a milk glass candy dish which has scalloped edges that make you think, "Why yes I'll have a butterscotch, thanks grandma."  The other...OH-HO the other...such a find.

As we wandered through the labyrinth that is the Rose Bowl Flea Market in 90 degree heat, we stumbled upon a cute little stall with what I would call shabby chic accessories and furniture.  I started looking through a pile of lamp shades to adorn the vintage lamp my uncle got me years ago.  The woman started telling me that she takes vintage pillowcases and turns them into great unique lampshades.  I found this one that I absolutely loved, I took it home, and put it up immediately. 
See:

Isn't it just adorable?

You can imagine my surprise when I removed the plastic wrapped around it to find that it actually looks like this:


I just happened to be lying in bed admiring the lampshade when one scalloped edge fell down.  I started overreacting immediately.  "What!?! I paid $40 bucks and it's falling apart already?"  The hubby walked over to the lamp and said, "Hey, I think it's supposed to do that."  He pulled down all the scalloped edges and I felt silly right away.  Not only had I been wrong, but I had bought this thing not knowing what it was really meant to look like.  Good thing I like it even more now.  As they say, 'all's well that ends well.'

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hi. This is an extremely random question, but...

Since you don't seem to be using this blog very much and haven't posted in a couple years, I was wondering whether or not you'd consider either deleting it or moving it to a different site name. "Mary Loves" is the name of my blog, and I'd really love to be able to use it. If you'd rather not, I understand, but I had to ask.

Here's my blog:

http://mwazloves.blogspot.com

Thanks!
Mary

Mary said...

Come on.....PLEASE!?! EMAIL ME at marylovesblog@yahoo.com